Matthew Arlnold School

Student Support Team


Staff who can help you in school

  • Form Tutor
  • House Leader
  • Deputy House Leader
  • School Health Nurse
  • School Counsellor  

Students and parents can ask the Form Tutor who is best to see and how to arrange appointments when required.

What can we help you with

  • Worries and anxiety
  • Low mood
  • Panic attacks
  • Self-harm
  • Friendship concerns
  • Difficulties at home
  • School issues
  • Anger
  • Low self-esteem/confidence
  • Body image concerns 
  • Social media issues
  • Bullying
  • Risky behaviours
  • Eating issues
  • Organisation
  • Transition into Secondary School
  • Attendance concerns 
  • Identity issues

Toolkit and Referrals

If you find that you are struggling with something and want some help to work through it, take a look at some of the resources below. This is the Student Support toolkit - you can find a resource that suits your needs and work through this on your own, or with a parent, or even with your tutor. Don’t forget you can always approach your tutor and/or House Leader to ask them for some support too!

If you have given this a go and still feel like you need to talk to someone, please fill in the Triage Form below. This will help us decide what kind of support you may need. 

Triage Form

Parents and Carers

Please also feel free to look through our resources and take away anything you think would be useful for your child. You can also fill in the Triage Form if you feel necessary.

Other staff that can help you in school

You will have regular mentoring sessions with your tutor. They are your first point of contact and can help you with any worries you have. They can also sit down with you and help you fill in the Student Support Triage form, if needed.  

The school health nurse service can help with any health issue e.g. help to stop smoking, sexual health, contraception, drug & alcohol support etc. 

You can self-refer by emailing Tikki, or knocking on her door - her office is opposite B12. If you do not want to do this, your tutor, HL or SSW can help you. 

School couselling involves talking and/or engaging in creative therapies to reflect, understand and find solutions to emotional challenges such as anxiety, depression, grief, self-harm and trauma. This can improve self-esteem, acceptance, understanding of negative behavioural patterns and management of strong emotions. 

Your HL, tutor or SSW can refer you to counselling. Alternatively, you can fill in the triage form.